School closes three years groups after 17 staff and pupils test positive for Covid-19

A school has been closed off to three years groups after an outbreak of Covid-19 affecting 17 pupils and teachers.

Wednesday, 30th September 2020, 4:21 pm
Updated Wednesday, 30th September 2020, 4:24 pm
St Wilfrid's.

St Wilfrid's in Featherstone has told pupils in year 10, and the two years group in sixth-form to stay away for the moment.

There had been growing speculation about positive cases being found at the school, which Wakefield Council has this afternoon confirmed as eight staff and nine children.

A letter written to parents today from the joint headteachers of the Cutsyke Road school reads: "After consultation with Public Health England, we have taken the decision to close the Y10, Y12 and Y13 bubbles.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"We are keen to maintain our face-to-face provision as much as possible, until advised otherwise.

"Furthermore, the aim in closing the school to these year groups is to reduce the risk of transmission to other year groups who remain in school.

"We would like to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to minimise the disruption to learning and to provide online provision to help our young people continue to make progress. Of course, we would like to be able to keep our school open to all students."

Anna Hartley, Wakefield’s director of public health, said: “We are working closely with St Wilfrid’s, providing support and advice, following eight members of staff and nine pupils testing positive.

“We would like to thank the school for their quick actions to identify cases, as well as those that they have been in close contact with, and asking them all to self-isolate.

“We understand that parents may be concerned, but please be reassured that the risk to pupils is low and all necessary steps and precautions, including enhanced cleaning, have taken place.

“Although the figures may sound high, it is less than 1% of the school population that has currently been affected.

“The school remains open as usual to years 7, 8, 9 and 11 and we will continue to provide support, in line with the latest government advice, to ensure the safety of students and staff.”