'Childish' thug punched man at Castleford club over bicycle row

A 'childish' thug punched a man after being told he could not bring his bicycle into a Caslteford working men's club, a court was told.

Tuesday, 2nd March 2021, 12:52 pm

Ian Robinson attacked the 65-year-old in the entrance of the Roundhill Working Men's Club and denied it, despite being captured on CCTV.

He did not show up for his trial where he was found guilty of assaulting occasioning actual bodily harm, and was later arrested on a warrant, Leeds Crown Court was told.

Prosecuting, Gareth Henderson-Moore, told the court that Robinson had gone to the Roundhill Road club on the evening of April 3, 2019 and tried to bring his bicycle into the building but was stopped.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Roundhill WMC in Castleford.

He had noticed that another bicycle was inside, but was told it belonged to a club member who had sought permission beforehand to bring it in.

Robinson took exception to this, but left the premises. However, he came back a short time later with another man, which the court was told was his son.

Robinson, 51, walked inside and grabbed the member's bicycle and began walking out with it and heard saying he was going to throw it through the window.

The bike owner saw this and followed him out of the club and began ringing 999.

Robinson was then seen to approach the man in the doorway and strike him to the face while he was on his phone.

The victim needed hospital treatment.

After being arrested, Robinson told police he acted in self defence and that it was a push rather than a punch.

Mr Henderson-Moore showed the CCTV footage and said: "The complainant was not being aggressive, it was clear the complainant was no threat at all and the CCTV shows it was a punch with a clenched fist."

The court was told that Robinson had seven convictions for 10 offences, including wounding, ABH and robbery and had spent considerable time behind bars.

A probation report suggested the empathy he had shown to the victim was "not convincing".

It found him to be suffering from anxiety and depression and remains on medication.

Robinson, of St Mary's Place, claimed he had only had two pints on the night of the attack, but said the medication he was taking at the time "did not agree with him".

He had also attended a funeral of a family member the day before.

Defending, Shannon Woodley, added: "He has kept out of trouble and is trying to make changes, he is trying to get proper accommodation and sort himself out.

"It's late his age but better late than never."

Judge Penelope Belcher described the attack at "petty, pathetic and childish."

She said of the victim: "He was not representing any aggression or threat to you at all.

"It was a gratuitous punch over a pathetic issue. It was nasty. He was at the club to enjoy himself and for no reason leaves with that injury.

"You can't resort to violence. You need to keep your fists to yourself. It's the behaviour you would expect of children in a playground."

She gave him a six-month jail term, but suspended it for 18 months.

He was given a six-month electronic tag curfew.