Forklift operator glassed Wakefield housemate over chores

A forklift operator with a history of violence has been jailed after glassing a housemate over disagreements about house chores.

Friday, 22nd January 2021, 12:33 pm
Updated Friday, 22nd January 2021, 12:36 pm

Errol Junior Henry had drunk a bottle of vodka on the evening of December 10 last year when he burst into a bedroom where three residents were talking and struck one of them with the wine glass, cutting his face in two places, Leeds Crown Court was told.

The 44-year-old then attacked another, calling him a "snitch", prosecutor Jonathan Sharp said.

The police were then called to the house on Lincoln Street and Henry was arrested.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Henry, who has a long list of convictions for violence, was jailed.

Henry claimed that the glassing was an accident and had only intended to throw water over the victim, but admitted a charge of malicious wounding and assault.

The glassing victim has also been left with permanent scarring to his face.

The court was told that Henry had fallen out with his three housemates in the shared property and the police had been called days before.

It was suggested the disagreements stemmed from household chores and cleanliness, and Henry claimed the other housemates wanted him out.

Henry was then said to have called them "snitch" and "grass" after the first police intervention.

The court was told that Henry had a history of violence with convictions in 2009, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2017.

A probation report said that although Henry gave his address as Lee Moor Road in Stanley during a previous court appearance, he was now living in Nottingham and he was a 'medium risk' of re-offending.

Mitigating, Nicholas Walsh, said Henry had moved to Wakefield for a fresh start after splitting up with his partner.

He moved into the shared property on Lincoln Street and had been there for eight months before the attack.

Mr Walsh added: "There were a number of different residents, many with alcohol or drug problems and Mr Henry in conflict with some of those people who had different standards of cleanliness and behaviour.

"He regrets his action to go and confront these witnesses. He disputes that he intended to cause any harm and it was not premeditated."

Judge Simon Batiste said: "You have an extremely bad record for offences for violence, albeit this is the most serious.

"You went in (to the room), you were clearly not welcome and you were carrying with you a wine glass.

"You were heavily in drink. I accept that you did not deliberately thrust the glass into his face, but you were highly reckless."

The judge said that the matter was too serious for a suspended sentence and sent Henry into custody for 18 months.