'He would have killed him': Friend's fear as thug attacked man with a knife

A thug who attacked his man with a knife in the street and then punched and kicked him after a night of drinking has been jailed.

Thursday, 8th April 2021, 2:54 pm

A friend had to pull William Turner away from the victim after he thinking he "would have killed him", Leeds Crown Court was told.

Turner admitted GBH without intent, and possession of a bladed article following the attack on Little Lane in South Elmsall.

Prosecuting, Felicity Hemlin said Turner had been out with friends, including the victim, on the night of December 16, 2018 when they all went back to Turner's house on Little Lane to continue drinking.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Turner attacked man with a knife.

At some point an argument broke out and the victim left the house to wait for a taxi outside.

Turner then came out of the property with the knife and attacked him from behind, striking him with the knife to the back of the head.

He then threw punches to his head and body.

The court was told that the victim tried to fight back but ended up on the floor "curled up" before Turner kicked him.

Turner then ran off down an alleyway throwing the knife into a garden. It was later recovered by police and found to contain blood and fat from the victim.

The victim was taken to hospital with a cut to the back of his head, lacerations to his body and bruises and abrasions to his head.

Turner, of Little Lane, South Elmsall, was arrested but became verbally and physically abusive towards officers when they took him to hospital. He then gave a 'no comment' interview.

Miss Hemlin read out an impact statement from the victim and saying the incident had a "profound impact on all aspects of his life".

Turner, who is now 22, has three previous convictions and was subject to a community order at the time of the attack.

Mitigating, Craig Sutcliffe suggested that a vehicle had been damaged that evening, which was the reason why Turner came out of the house to confront the victim.

He said Turner had expressed remorse, had the support from his family and could be rehabilitated as he argued that he inevitable prison sentence could be suspended.

But Judge Abdul Iqbal insisted Turner needed to go immediately to custody, handing him a 27-month sentence.

He also gave him a three-year restraining order to keep him away from the victim.