Murder accused tried to sell jewellery which belonged to 90-year-old man Pontefract man found stabbed to death in his own home, jury told

A drug addict accused of murdering a 90-year-old man by stabbing him to death in his own home was caught on camera trying to sell his jewellery, a court heard.

By Tony Gardner
Thursday, 29th October 2020, 8:21 am
Updated Thursday, 29th October 2020, 8:28 am
Police at Love Lane Terrace.
Police at Love Lane Terrace.

Leeds Crown Court heard how Nathan Suggitt was found dead with five stab wounds to his upper body after his friends contacted police with concerns for his welfare.

Jurors were told how Glyndwr Wayman was captured on CCTV footage at a Cash Generators store trying to sell Mr Suggitt's valuables on the same day of the killing.

Wayman is on trial accused of murdering Mr Suggitt at his home on Love Lane Terrace, Pontefract, in October last year.

The 50-year-old also pleads not guilty to the robbery of a 61-year-old woman in Pontefract just over three weeks earlier.

Kama Melly QC, prosecuting, told the court how Mr Suggitt was last seen alive returning home from a shopping trip to his local Asda store on the morning of October 5.

Wayman, who lived on the same street at Mr Suggitt, was in the area at the time.

Ms Melly said the two men knew each other and had a brief conversation in the street.

Mr Suggitt's body was found in his living room at 9pm that evening when police entered his home.

There were signs of an altercation taking place in the property as tables were damaged and other items had been knocked to the floor.

A post mortem revealed Mr Suggitt had stab wounds to his upper body, including a stab wound to his heart.

There were also defence wounds to his forearm and fingers.

The prosecutor said a bottle of bleach was at the scene and may have been poured on to Mr Suggitt's body.

There was also evidence that Mr Suggitt's pockets had been searched.

The court heard Mr Suggitt wore a distinctive ring on his finger which was missing from his body.

A member of staff at Asda recalled the pensioner wearing it on the morning of his death.

Ms Melly said: "That afternoon, before the body was discovered, we say that Mr Wayman was attempting to get rid of the items that he had taken.

"He was trying to get rid of the ring and the jewellery and tried to do so at a Cash Generators in Pontefract that afternoon."

Ms Melly said evidence would be called from people at the store.

Analysis of Mr Suggitt's phone after it was recovered revealed it had been used to make calls to numbers which were in the contacts list of Wayman's phone.

The jury heard how forensic officers found DNA evidence inside Mr Suggitt's trouser pocket which linked Wayman to having contact with the pensioner.

When police searched Wayman's home they found a trainer with Suggitt's blood on it.

A distinctive jumper was recovered from the property which matched one worn by a man near to the scene of the robbery of the 61-year-old woman weeks earlier.

The robbery offence is alleged to have taken place as the woman returned home from a shopping trip to the same Asda store.

The woman was robbed at knifepoint on the path outside her home.

The attacker tried to force her inside the house but she resisted. She was then robbed of her handbag.

Ms Melly said Waywan was interviewed and denied both offences.

He claimed he had been out to 'score' heroin when he saw Mr Suggitt on the day of the alleged murder.

Wayman told officers that Mr Suggitt stumbled as they were chatting and he had to pull him off the road as a car was coming.

The defendant claimed that contact explained why his DNA was found on Mr Suggitt's clothing.

In relation to the robbery offence, Wayman accepted that the man on the CCTV footage looked like him but was somebody else.

The trial continues.