Discarded cigarette causes social club blaze

A discarded cigarette caused a blaze at a social club in Castleford this morning (Sunday).

Sunday, 30th August 2015, 8:32 am

Firefighters from Normanton and Castleford were called to William Street Sports and Social Club at around 5am, where a smoking shelter was on fire.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said investigations revealed that a cigarette had been left on a chair, causing it to set alight.

Two breathing apparatus and hose reels were used at the scene and firefighters managed to stop the fire from spreading any further, but extensive damage was caused to the shelter.

Crews left at around 6.15am.