Pugneys Country Park tells dog owners to keep their pets away from the water after algae discovered

Dogs owners have been warned to keep their pets out of a West Yorkshire lake after potentially deadly algae was discovered.

Tuesday, 10th August 2021, 6:31 pm
Updated Tuesday, 10th August 2021, 6:32 pm
Pugneys Country Park

Pugneys Country Park in Wakefield have advised dog owners to take the "precautionary measure" as "small amounts" of algae had been found.

The lake was closed off in 2019 due to high levels of bacteria.

In 2016, the lake remained closed for several days after green algae was spotted on the water.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

High levels of bacteria were also found in the water during routine testing in 2018.

Green algae can cause rashes and irritation in humans, and can be toxic if ingested by animals, even in small quantities.

In 2019, the British Veterinary Association issued a warning to dog walkers about the algae.

The group warned that symptoms of exposure can appear within a few minutes or hours, depending on the type of toxin ingested.

Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, trouble breathing, seizures and blood in faeces.

If left untreated, it can cause liver damage and ultimately be rapidly fatal.

Daniella Dos Santos, junior vice president of the association, said at the time: “We know that some dogs enjoy nothing better than a paddle in a cool lake while on a walk during summer months, but my advice to pet owners would be to keep your dog on a lead during walks near water confirmed to have toxic algal blooms.