'Putting our staff at risk' - warning after bottle filled with used batteries found at Wakefield recycling facility
People in Wakefield have been warned they could inadvertently be putting others at risk, after a large bottle filled with batteries was found at a recycling facility.
Wakefield Council issued a warning about the batteries after a member of staff discovered a large plastic bottle filled with used batteries.
Batteries contain lithium and are a fire risk, particularly if they are damaged or come into contact with water.
Although some councils collect batteries as part of their usual household waste collection service, in Wakefield they must be taken to a recycling centre or dedicated Bring Site.
Some supermarkets also offer battery recycling points.
In a tweet from the Wakefield Recycles Twitter, the council said: "Batteries: Please Do Not place batteries into any of your Household rubbish bins.
"Batteries contain lithium and are a fire risk.This bottle full of batteries was found in our recycling facility, putting our staff at risk.
"Please recycle batteries at your local recycling point."