Food pan causes fire at flats in Wakefield

Fire crews have extinguished a potentially serious fire at a block of flats in Wakefield this afternoon.
Latest news...Latest news...
Latest news...

Officers from Wakefield Fire Station were called out to Greenwood House off George Street just before 4.15pm after neighbours of one the flats heard a smoke alarm sounding.

A flatholder had left some food in a pan on a lit hob before going out of the property and leaving the pan unattended, during which time the fire started.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A spokesman from Wakefield Station said that positive ventilation fans were used to clear the blaze, which was just “ten minutes away” from being extremely serious and life-threatening.

“Crews managed to get access to the property across a balcony,” he said.

“It was a close call. If we’d got there much later it would have been really bad. There was a lot of food in the pan and it would have been a very strong and fierce fire.

“I don’t know where the property holder went. He hadn’t returned to the property by the time we’d extinguished the fire.”

No-one was injured.

Related topics: