Approval to bulldoze block of flats as part of £2.5m redevelopment

Approval has been given to bulldoze a block of flats to make way for a £2.5m affordable family homes development.

Friday, 12th March 2021, 12:30 pm

Mellwood House, a block of empty one-bedroom flats on Marshall Drive, South Elmsall, has stood empty for around a year and will now be razed to the ground.

In its place, Wakefield District Housing will build 14 new houses and four bungalows.

It says the aim is to provide rented social housing for families.

Mellwood House.
Mellwood House.

Sue Young, from WDH, previously told the Express: “This scheme will enhance the area, attracting more families and professionals and provide a range of modern living options for prospective tenants with excellent transport links and homes close to the countryside.”

The plans have come in for some criticism, with six letters of objections.

One said the homes would ruin the character of the area because it is predominantly bungalows for the elderly.