'˜Smoke alarm saved lives after kitchen fire'

Firefighters have issued a warning about the importance of smoke alarms.

Monday, 19th December 2016, 9:51 am
Updated Thursday, 29th December 2016, 3:11 pm
A man was rescued by fire services yesterday evening

Watch Commander Al Senior of South Kirkby fire station said one saved the lives of occupants of a house in Dunsley Terrace, after a fire broke out in their kitchen.

His crew were called out to the blaze at around 6am yesterday.

Watch Commander Senior said: “Pans had been left on in the kitchen.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Fortunately, the occupiers had a fitted and working smoke alarm which raised the alarm.

“Otherwise they would not have been alerted.

“They were sleeping and it gave them enough time to get up and get out and call us. The smoke alarm saved their lives.

“Please make sure you check your smoke alarms work and if you do not have one, please contact us and we can arrange to come and fit them free of charge.”