Trains through Wakefield and Moorthorpe to be diverted and replacement bus services in place over Easter
As a result, services passing through some parts of the Wakefield district will be disrupted.
Matt Rice, Route Director for Network Rail’s North and East route, said: “This major renewal of points between Sheffield and Meadowhall will mean more passengers arriving at their destination on time right across Yorkshire and the north.
“While our teams have done their best to manage the issue for many months to keep trains moving, the time is now – while fewer people are using the railway – to close the line and put brand new equipment in place that will mean better train services when people return to rail in the months and years ahead.
“We want to thank passengers who need to travel for their patience as we bring a more modern, reliable railway.”
The project is expected to remove a temporary speed restriction which is currently in place between Sheffield and Meadowhall, which adds a delay of one minute to every train passing through the area, and has ben linked to more than 313 hours of delays in the last two years.
It will also see improvements made to a tunnel just north of Sheffield station, which is used by trains to Wakefield, Doncaster, Leeds and Barnsley.
During this work, the line between Sheffield and Meadowhall will be closed from Saturday, April 3 until Monday, April 5, and replacement buses used where necessary.
The following alterations to services will be in place (services in bold are those in Wakefield and the Five Towns which are directly affected b the changes):
- Buses will replace Northern services between Sheffield and Meadowhall, Sheffield and York and Sheffield and Lincoln/Cleethorpes
- Stopping services between Sheffield and Doncaster will not run
- Services between Sheffield and Leeds via Moorthorpe will run between Meadowhall and Leeds via Moorthorpe
- Trains between Sheffield and Hull will instead operate between Rotherham Central and Hull only
- Trains between Sheffield and Leeds via Barnsley will start/end at Meadowhall
- Buses will replace CrossCountry services between Sheffield and Wakefield Westgate
- TransPennine Express services will not run between Sheffield and Doncaster
- East Midlands Railway services will not run to the North of Sheffield
A spokesperson on behalf of train operators on the route, said: “We would like to thank passengers for continuing to follow the latest Government guidance and ask them to minimise travel over Easter.
“Bus replacement services are running to keep people making essential journeys moving whilst these vital upgrades in Sheffield take place. The work will bring a more reliable railway for our passengers.
“We strongly advise people to check before traveling via National Rail Enquiries or with their train operator."