Leeds United denied first victory by late goals

Uwe Rosler is still without a win as Leeds United head coach after seeing his side throw away a two-goal lead to draw with Bristol City.
Mirco Antenucci takes the penalty from which he put Leeds United into the lead at Bristol City. Picture: Tony JohnsonMirco Antenucci takes the penalty from which he put Leeds United into the lead at Bristol City. Picture: Tony Johnson
Mirco Antenucci takes the penalty from which he put Leeds United into the lead at Bristol City. Picture: Tony Johnson

United looked to be coasting to a 2-0 win after goals either side of half-time from Mirco Antenucci and Chris Wood, but Kieran Agard gave the hosts a lifeline with an 89th minute effort and Aden Flint scrambled home an equaliser five minutes into added time.

It was tough on Leeds, but they have now drawn all three of their Sky Bet Championship matches and were knocked out of the Capital One Cup on penalties.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Leeds side showed three changes from the one that brought a point back from Reading on Sunday with Scott Wootton in for Gaetano Berardi at right-back, Giuseppe Bellusci returning at centre-back in place of Liam Cooper and striker Antenucci chosen instead of midfielder Alex Mowatt, who was rested.

The back four had some defending to do straight away as Bristol City made their trademark fast start and Sol Bamba was forced to head a Joe Bryan cross clear.

Callum Robinson then fired over before Tom Adeyemi headed over at the other end from a cross by teenage midfielder Kalvin Phillips, who kept his place in the starting line-up.

Leeds keeper Marco Silvestri was forced into his first save as Jonathan Kodjia’s got a shot in from inside the area and from the resulting corner Stuart Dallas cleared off the line from Aden Flint’s header.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

More home pressure followed, but Silvestri kept out Joe Bryan’s near post strike and the City player then hit his follow-up over.

Leeds broke out with great effect six minutes before half-time when Wood raced forward and put Antenucci through with a good ball. The Italian forward looked to go round keeper Ben Hamer only to be brought down by his outstretched arm to bring about a penalty.

Hamer was not shown a red card as the United player was going wide of goal, but Antenucci picked himself up to score from the spot and give Leeds the lead against the run of play.

United almost doubled the lead soon after as Sam Byram saw a header saved by Hamer, while in a thrilling finish to the half the hosts came close again when Silvestri did well to save Robinson’s close range effort.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The action continued into the second half with Aaron Wilbraham’s shot saved by Silvestri’s legs before Leeds scored their second seven minutes after the restart.

Wood, who once played on loan at Bristol City, came up with his first goal in Leeds colours when he fired past Hamer after cutting inside from the right to get a terrific strike away.

United were then content to soak up pressure and counter attack when they could for the rest of the game.

Derrick Williams did hit a free-kick over, but Uwe Rosler’s men were not threatened as much as they were earlier and appeared comfortable until City made it a nervy finish by pulling a goal back a minute from the end of normal time through Kieron Agard.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Six minutes of injury-time followed and the hosts threw the kitchen sink at United. They were rewarded just before the final whistle when Silvestri parried one effort, but in a crowded area the ball fell kindly for Flint to bag an equaliser that had looked so unlikely.

Match facts

Bristol City 2

(Agard 89, Flint 90+5)

(Antenucci pen 39, Wood 52)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sky Bet Championship

Attendance: 14,712

Bristol City: Hamer, Ayling, Flint, Williams, Fredericks (Burns 55), Smith, Pack, Robinson (Reid 57), Bryan, Wilbraham, Kodjia (Agard 71).

Leeds: Silvestri, Wootton, Bamba, Bellusci, Taylor, Byram (Berardi 83), Phillips, Adeyemi, Antenucci (Mowatt 65), Dallas, Wood.

Referee: Gavin Ward.