Sunday football: Wakefield Athletic make it through dramatic Landlords Cup tie

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Wakefield Athletic were made to work overtime before going through against Glasshoughton Rangers in a thrilling first round Landlord’s Cup tie.

After surrendering a 3-0 half-time lead they found themselves 4-3 down in the 118th minute, but came up with a last-gasp equaliser then won 4-2 in a penalty shoot-out.

The Glasshoughton outfit found themselves 1-0 down after two minutes when a long kick by goalkeeper George Mitchell was flicked-on by Bubacarr Camara and found Jack Rothery whose first touch saw him drive into the heart of the visitor's danger zone before being hauled down in the box. Danny Jones made no mistake from the resulting spot-kick, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Athletic doubled their lead when Regan Barry's direct run drew a foul 25 yards out and Kane Whitaker's free-kick evaded a forest of legs as it trickled over the line.

Braiden Barry hit the winning spot-kick in Wakefield Athletic's penalty shoot-out success over Glasshoughton Rangers in the Landlord's Cup.Braiden Barry hit the winning spot-kick in Wakefield Athletic's penalty shoot-out success over Glasshoughton Rangers in the Landlord's Cup.
Braiden Barry hit the winning spot-kick in Wakefield Athletic's penalty shoot-out success over Glasshoughton Rangers in the Landlord's Cup.

A third goal came two minutes from half-time when Joe Dack’s clever ball through a covering defender’s leg found Danny Young whose vital touch saw the ball roll over the line despite the keeper’s attempt to scoop the ball out.

Athletic made five changes at half-time and struggled to stem waves of attacks from Rangers who turned the tie on its head with three goals.

A spot-kick goal in the 70th minute by Gary MaClaren opened the floodgates as the same player punished a poor back pass to slot past the home keeper then completed his hat-trick two minutes from full-time following a mazy run and stunning strike.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Athletic manager Davy Jones restored his starting line-up in extra-time with four changes and the home side began to dictate proceedings again.

They could not beat Glasshoughton keeper Billy Nelmes, however, and late drama saw the visitors take a 4-3 lead through Danny White in the 118th minute.

Even later drama saw the home side make it 4-4 20 seconds from time as a delicate Braiden Barry lob over the advancing defensive cover was well read by Jones who burst through to score with his own lob.

In the resulting shoot-out Athletic then scored three consecutive spot-kicks through Young, Whitaker and Banta Dabor and although Regan Barry blazed his over Braiden Barry’s penalty sealed a 4-2 victory as Rangers had one kick saved by George Mitchell and hit the post with another.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Howdens man of the match was shared by Jones, Darbor and Whitaker.

Two second-half headed goals from Hammad Ali and Mohammed Usman saw Wakefield Athletic’s second string produce a wonderful comeback to share the spoils away with a 2-2 draw at Kirklands in a Wakefield Sunday Premiership Two match.

The opening half got off to a strong start for the away side as they showed their class with some fantastic football, but were unable to find the back of the net against a resolute home rearguard.

However, it was Kirklands who struck first with a fabulous strike from the outside of the box from their striker Mehr Hussain into the top right-hand corner of the net, narrowly escaping the claws of the diving reach of the Wakefield goalkeeper Glenn Hurlstone.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The away side fell further behind in the second half after a cleared corner fell at the feet of Kirklands midfielder Alex Mumford who unleashed a thunderous strike from 30 yards out.

Although finding themselves 2-0 down, Wakefield did not let their heads drop and moments after the home side doubled their lead, they hit back after a fantastic cross from teenager Burhan Ahmed found the head of Hammad Ali who found target.

Wakefield kept pushing for the equaliser and sustained pressure paid off when a cross fired in by Amaan Aslam and a deflection planted it on the head of who steered the ball home.

Athletic’s amazing turn around was almost complete when some good work from new striker Yaseen Emery Din nearly paid off as he found himself in a fabulous position in front of goal. Hearts were in mouths as the ball trickled towards the net, but narrowly missed the post as both teams shared the spoils.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Howdens man of the match award was shared by Burhan Ahmed, Usmaan Bashir and Luke Midgley.

Although Jack Alton was on target for Peacock Wakefield they were unable to beat undefeated Premiership One leaders Chequerfield, who went away with a 7-1success.

Reigning champions Fryston AFC have also won all three of their Premiership One games and they beat AFC Chickenley 4-1 with Liam Hirst, James Dyson and Andrew Horbury (two) netting.

Dillon Connelly hit a hat-trick as Nostell MW Sunday beat Frickley Colliery 5-1.

Lee Dooler and Ben McAdam were also on target.

Stanley United Sundays defeated Horse & Jockey 5-0.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Nathan Harrop’s hat-trick helped West End Terriers to beat Junk Old Boys 4-1 in Premiership Two.

Brad Lowe also netted with Harrison Watson replying for the losing team.

Hemsworth MW Sunday had Thomas Barry (two), Will Kemp and Craig Sinclair netting in their 4-3 win over Whitwood Metrostars, for who Richie Dunning (two) and Joseph Hall scored.

Elliot Robson and Charlie Thompson scored the goals that gave Angel Inn a 2-0 success against College FC in Championship One.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Travellers Stanley also won 2-0 against Eggborough Eagles with goals by Joshua Billingham and Nathan Smith.

Knottingley Railway’s 2-0 success against Pontefract Collieries Sunday in Championship Two came courtesy of goals from Ryan Gore and Carl Hodgson.