Sunday League round-up: Peacock's Barry Rankin denies Wakefield Athletic in late penalty drama

Wakefield Athletic ended their season with a respectable 3-3 draw against Premiership One outfit Peacock in Group Two of the Wakefield Sunday Inter-League competition.

By Tony Harber
Wednesday, 12th May 2021, 9:00 am
Danny Young, in the thick of the action for Wakefield Athletic against Peacock.
Danny Young, in the thick of the action for Wakefield Athletic against Peacock.

In a dramatic finish to a game of high intensity, Peacock scored four minutes from time to haul themselves level before their keeper Barry Rankin denied Danny Jones from a spot kick in the dying seconds.

Athletic scored first in the 28th minute when a long punt by Luke Maw saw Rankin spill the ball with the alert Danny Young pouncing to steer the loose ball home.

Athletic keeper Aaron Dooley made two fine saves, but was beaten by a low drive from the edge of the box by Matty Green five minutes from half-time.

However, two minutes later, a well disguised Danny Jones pass found Ray Cheng and he beat his marker before a rasping low drive from 30 yards out made it 2-1.

Athletic made it 3-1 after the break as Joe Dack’s long throw was flicked on by Bubacarr Camara and put away by Danny Young.

Peacock hit back through Josh Whiteley before the big finish when a superb low drive by Rob Lee hauled them level and Rankin saved Danny Young’s penalty.

The Mikey Bell MOM award for Athletic was shared by Mamadou Touray, Cheng and Camara.

Wakefield Athletic A had no answer to unbeaten Chequerfields as they lost their concluding Group Six match 7-0.

They lacked energy and were up against it from early on after conceding two quickfire goals.

It was 5-0 by half-time and although the Wakefield side improved after changes made at the break they were unable to find the net with Amaan Aslam going closest with two efforts that were well saved.

The Mikey Bell MOM went to Sami Atif, Atif Din and Harmal Garewl.

Wakefield Athletic B also signed off with a defeat as they lost 4-0 to unbeaten Dewsbury Rangers in Group Five.

The home side matched a youthful Rangers outfit with the rearguard of Aiden Robinson, James Lewis, Tom Howden and Jake Stevens keeping the visitors’ potent attacks in check. At the other end, Sam Murphy hit the woodwork before striker Abdul Muhammedkir and Adam Harrison saw their efforts well saved.

The threat of the visitor striker Arista Llewellyn proved ruthless when he ran through deep from midfield to give Rangers a 1-0 lead.

Enforced changes by the home side in the second half and sustained pressure from the visitors saw the pendulum change with Joe Hartfield and Ryan Laidlaw nudging Dewsbury into a 3-0 lead.

Josh Noon and Abdul Muhammedkir threatened to pull a goal back with the latter shooting straight at the keeper from five yards out. But a late headed effort following a corner saw Oliver Dickinson-Brown complete his side’s tally of unanswered four goals.

The Mikey Bell MOM went to Jake Stevens, Aleks Celebicanin and Tom Howden.

Wakefield Athletic are involved in a four team inter-club round robin tournament at their West Yorkshire Sports & Social Club venue in Sandal this Sunday in memory of Darren Mawson, the club's long-term official who passed away recently.

Players subs and funds raised by the club on the day will be donated to the Salvation Army.

The tournament will consist of all of Athletic's sides plus a fourth team made-up comprising of key players from each of the three sides and potential new players.

Shepherds Arms were in winning form in their inter-league game as goals from Tom Brook, Jamie Eyles, Bradley Kilner, Dave Precious and Joe Walton earned them a 5-2 success against AFC Viaduct, who had Tom Clarke and Joe Clegg on target.

Wrenthorpe Rangers went down 5-0 to Rock Inn, but Nostell MW struck three times in the second half to clinch a 5-3 victory away to Ryhill Seniors.

Andrew Lunn netted twice to go with a goal each from Thomas Booth, Josh Craig and Haydn Ward while Lee Carrington, Luke Chestney and Kevin Taylor netted for Ryhill.