Atkins treble helps Warrington Wolves to victory over Wakefield Wildcats

RYAN Atkins scored a hat-trick on his return to the Merrie City to help Warrington Wolves to a 42-12 victory over Wakefield Wildcats on Sunday.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 21st May 2012, 5:11 pm

Chris Riley and the returning Stefan Ratchford also scored two tries apiece as Tony Smith’s men completed a Super League double over the Wildcats by accelerating away from their hosts in the second half.

Richard Agar’s men had gone toe-to-toe with their visitors for an hour of the match. Frankie Mariano had put Wakefield ahead early on before the Wolves hit back to lead through Atkins and Riley. Brett Hodgson converted both.

Wakefield captain Steve Southern made the perfect return to action from a calf injury when he powered over the line just minutes after his introduction from the bench. Paul Sykes kicked his second conversion to rack up 1000 Super League points, to level the scores.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

Wildcats could have gone into the half-time interval ahead but Richie Mathers saw a try chalked off for obstruction and Dean Collis was held up on the line.

Wakefield continued to match their visitors on the resumption but Ratchford’s first try of the afternoon all-but ended the contest as Wakefield heads dropped and Warrington took full advantage. Atkins scored twice more to complete his treble and Riley intercepted a stray Kyle Wood pass to complete the try-scoring. Hodgson completed his perfect afternoon of kicking with seven conversions from as many attempts.

Wakefield: Mathers, Fox, Collis, Sykes, Cockayne, John, Smith, Johnson, Aiton, Raleigh, Lauitiiti, Mariano, Washbrook. Subs: Wood, Amor, Southern, Trout.

Warrington: Hodgson, Riley, Atkins, Blythe, Williams, Ratchford, O’Brien, Hill, Higham, Wood, McCarthy, Westwood, Harrison. Subs: Carvell, Cooper, Grix, Currie.

Referee: Tim Roby.

Attendance: 8,483.

See this week’s Wakefield Express for full match report, pictures and reaction from Wakefield’s defeat against Warrington.