Featherstone legend Steve Quinn dies

Featherstone Rovers legend and record points scorer Steve Quinn has died following a period of illness.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 1:33 pm
Updated Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 1:37 pm
Steve Quinn (second from left) pictured with Coun Croxall, David Hobbs, Allan Agar and Terry Hudson.
Steve Quinn (second from left) pictured with Coun Croxall, David Hobbs, Allan Agar and Terry Hudson.

Steve played 14 seasons for Rovers after making his debut on February 15, 1976 and amassed 2,656 points for the club through 75 tries, 1200 goals and 10 drop goals in 393 appearances.

The tally stands as a club record to this day with Stuart Dickens in second place way back on 1,550 points to show just how successful a player he was.

Rovers have extended their condolences to Steve’s family and friends.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

Steve’s legendary Featherstone status began when he signed from York for a fee of just £500 after being spotted by coach Keith Goulding.

He was brought straight into the first team, making his debut against Wakefield Trinity on February 15, 1976 when he kicked four goals in a win.

Quinn went on to be in the Rovers team which finished as runners-up to Salford by just one point in the league in 1976.

Rovers went one better when crowned league champions for the first time in their history the following year and Steve played in all 41 games in that season, setting up new records for goals kicked of 152 along with a points scored total of 328.

He broke both these records in the 1979-80 season when he kicked 163 goals and scored 375 points to help the team win the second division championship. Steve also played and scored in all 31 games in that season, setting up a further record of 29 points in a game against Doncaster.

Records continued to come his way when in 1981 he broke Cyril Kellett`s goal kicking record of 557 goals. He also overhauled the points record of Don Fox which at that time stood at 1,492 points in a career.

But it was in the 1982/83 season that the exploits of Steve will really be remembered. In that season playing with a team which was struggling against relegation the Rovers went to Wembley where they met the league champions Hull and pulled off one of the biggest upsets in Challenge Cup history.

Steve kicked four goals in the victory, including the cup winning kick three minutes from time.

After 14 seasons in Rovers colours Steve decided to call it a day, playing his last game for the club in December, 1988. The affection in which this player was held by the supporters was clearly demonstrated when he was granted a testimonial which raised some £13,000, at the time a record return.