Tom Johnstone 'will be fine' to face Catalans Dragons, says Wakefield Trinity chief Chris Chester
CHRIS CHESTER is hoping to name Tom Johnstone in his 21-man squad to face Catalans Dragons in the third round of the Challenge Cup this weekend.
The side for the Cup clash is due to be announced at 12pm today, with Johnstone expected to be included after being withdrawn due to a head knock in the defeat to Wigan Warriors last Thursday.
The Trinity winger failed his head injury assessment after taking a knock in the first half of the 34-6 loss.
Chester said Johnstone was feeling dazed after the game but expects him to “be fine” for the visit to Catalans on Saturday.
“He is not great at the minute, he is a bit dazed,” said Chester following the defeat against Wigan last week.
“I thought something needed to be done there and then about the contact but it was let go.”
The Trinity coach added: “We have got a nine-day turnaround. Tom will be fine for Catalans.”
Chester was frustrated that punishment wasn’t handed out following the tackle by Willie Isa which forced Johnstone from the field.
Wakefield were level at half time but conceded 28 points without reply to end up well beaten on the night.
“I don’t know how it wasn’t picked up,” he admitted.
“That didn’t lose us the game, the start of the second half lost us the game. We didn’t play tough enough for long enough.
“I just don’t see how when we have got all these camera angles that something like that goes unpunished.
“There was another one with Joe Westerman as well but we have got to be better.
“We gave ourselves a chance but then conceded 28 points in the second half. That is not a tough team or a resilient team.”
On what Wakefield need to improve ahead of their third-round clash with Catalans, Chester added: “We have just got to invest more energy in that tough stuff. It is a work in progress.
“Mason [Lino] has trained for two weeks with that oblique issue and I think that is still giving him some hassle.”
Wakefield’s Cup clash will be on BBC Two from 4.30pm.