Wakefield Wildcats 10 Warrington Wolves 38: Trinity suffer heavy defeat

Teenage winger Judah Mazive scored a try on his home debut as Wakefield Trinity Wildcats were beaten 38-10 by Challenge Cup finalists Warrington Wolves in the Super-8s.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 14th August 2016, 5:06 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:47 pm
Chris Chester
Chris Chester

Warrington looked like they had this month’s Wembley date with Hull on their minds as they made hard work of seeing off a makeshift Wakefield side in a poor-quality game.

Trinity gave a much better account of themselves than they had in their 56-12 Cup semi-final defeat two weeks ago, despite being without 11 players due to injury.

Their casualties included Scott Moore, who was a late withdrawal with a hamstring problem.

Full-back Max Jowitt, who had been left out of the team coach Chris Chester planned to field, was drafted in on the bench and the home team warmed up without an 18th man.

Teenage forward James Batchelor, who featured for England under-19s on their recent tour to Australia, came off the bench for his first team debut, the fourth Wakefield academy player to make the step up in three league games.

Wakefield went ahead through Jon Molloy’s try from a kick by Liam Finn, who also converted, but Warrington were 16-6 up at the break.

Ben Currie opened their account after Mazive lost the ball near his own line; a David Fifita knock-on and back-to-back penalties were punished by Chris Hill and then Max Jowitt fumbled Chris Sandow’s kick and Ryan Atkins touched down.

Warrington went further in front when Matty Russell intercepted Craig Hall’s pass to race 70 metres soon after the break.

Kurt Gidley’s third conversion made it 22-6, but the hosts hit back through Mazive, who scored his first senior try off a looping offload by Molloy.

There was no conversion and Daryl Clark went over from close range to open a three-score gap, Russell added his second and Joe Westerman also touched down, Gidley’ fifth conversion completing the scoring.