Fire-ravaged Wakefield bakery due for demolition

A bakery ravaged by fire earlier this year is to be finally bulldozed.

By Nick Frame
Tuesday, 9th June 2020, 11:26 am
A drone captured the smoke drifting across the city.

Planning permission has been granted to pull down what remains of the Speedibake factory in Wakefield which was gutted by the blaze in February.

Hundreds of firefighters were called in to tackle the fire, which burned for more than 24 hours and engulfed much of the city centre in a dark cloud of smoke.

Dozens of homes and businesses were evacuated during the fire, with residents describing “mayhem” as the blaze quickly took hold.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The huge blaze caused massive damage.

Such was the damage that the company, Associated British Foods, said financial cost and time needed for a full rebuild was "simply too great".

This week planners approved plans to pull down what remains of the factory on Colinsway.

Wakefield Council's land quality officer said: "The application form states all buildings will be demolished including slabs and foundations down to two metres below ground level.

"Rubble and waste will be sorted and disposed of at appropriate recycling facilities. The site will be left ready for sale."

Demolition of what remains has been granted.

It was initially thought that work would start in April and be completed by August but additional information was requested by Environmental Health about minimising dust during the demolition process.

The application was approved but with stringent conditions imposed, included all work to be stopped if any contamination of the land is found.